Stories featured on this page:
- MON 25TH APR (9.15AM): Updated BBC News logo launches on air
- MON 25TH APR (2PM): ITV moves on to next ITV Creates ident set
- MON 25TH APR (2.30PM): A look at the updated logo in the BBC nations and regions
- WED 27TH APR (1.30PM): Minor blip with the lower-thirds on the BBC News at One
- THU 28TH APR (11.55PM): Newsnight fails to appear on time on BBC Two
- FRI 29TH APR (5.30PM): Preview of BBC Northern Ireland Election 2022 set
- FRI 29TH APR (8PM): Drama introduces new idents
- SAT 30TH APR (11PM): BBC Wales Today adds new blocks logo to titles
- SUN 1ST MAY (10AM): New BBC blocks animation used on old logo for new show
- SUN 1ST MAY (7PM): BBC London puts future date on endboard
Monday 25th April
9.15am Updated BBC News logo launches on air
The updated version of the BBC News logo, featuring the new BBC masterbrand, made its on air debut just before 9am today.
Here’s the first appearance of the new logo on the BBC News Channel:
This is how things looked over on BBC World News at 9am (UK time):
An hour later, the new blocks were in place on the countdown too:
2pm ITV moves on to next ITV Creates ident set
It’s the turn of Sarah Harris and LeftCoast Makers to brand ITV this week. Their set of ITV Creates idents were first aired in May 2020.
The first repeat showing of this series of idents took place in the 1.30pm junction today.
2.30pm A look at the updated logo in the BBC nations and regions
The introduction of the new BBC logo on BBC News programmes today also affects the nations and regions.
In the regions, we’ve made the following observations this lunchtime:
- BBC Newsline has the new blocks logo in its title sequence and lower-thirds. However, in the titles, it looks as though there’s a thin border around the image used for the BBC blocks. The old DOG was used at lunchtime (but was replaced by the new version by the time the 6.30pm programme aired). The BBC Newsline logo shown on the screens in the studio hadn’t been updated.
- BBC Reporting Scotland had updated its titles and lower-thirds with the new BBC blocks and BBC News Scotland patch logo.
- Bit of a mishmash on BBC Wales Today. The programme was still using the old titles and patch logo but the lower-thirds were updated with the new BBC blocks logo. The logo shown on the studio videowall also had not been updated.
Across the English regions, it’s variations on the same titles template. Yes, the red patch logo has changed but there have been some other tweaks too:
- The patch logo now appears for most of the titles, rather than on the endboard only. In fact it now disappears when the endboard animated into view. This was presumably because it was decided to reinstate the BBC blocks logo on the endboard – albeit the new blocks now.
- Previously, programme titles such as Look East would’ve had these two words in different font weights – with the geographic location in a heavier weight. Now, the title is in one font weight and the kerning is tighter than before.
Wednesday 27th April
1.30pm Minor blip with the lower-thirds on the BBC News at One
The lower-thirds on today’s BBC News at One went a little crazy briefly. In spite of five appearances within less than 20 seconds, they didn’t manage to display the right information.
Thanks to Brian Greene for alerting us to this one.
Thursday 28th April
11.55pm Newsnight fails to appear on time on BBC Two
BBC Two experienced some issues getting tonight’s edition of Newsnight on the air.
RELATED ARTICLE: BBC Two switches to breakdown mode ahead of Newsnight.
Friday 29th April
5.30pm Preview of BBC Northern Ireland Election 2022 set
Kevin Kelly, interim head of news and current affairs at BBC Northern Ireland, has posted this shot of the BBC NI Election 2022 set.
8pm Drama introduces new idents
Drama has added a few new idents to its existing set.
Saturday 30th April
11pm BBC Wales Today adds new blocks logo to titles
BBC Wales Today apparently updated its titles and videowall graphics with the new BBC blocks on Friday. All other nations and regions implemented the change on Monday.
The title sequence also includes the new BBC News Wales patch logo.
Thanks to Kevin Shanahan for flagging.
Sunday 1st May
10am New BBC blocks animation used on old logo for new show
BBC Studios Productions – demonstrating their outstanding grasp of BBC branding here by creating an animated version of the old BBC logo on a new show, mimicking the type of animation introduced for the new BBC logo.
Great to see governance of the masterbrand remains as strict as ever.
7pm BBC London puts future date on endboard
The English regions will recently have received updated title sequences and associated branding assets, featuring the new BBC blocks and BBC News patch logos.
This package will have included a number of endboard animations, with future-dated copyright text. It looks as though BBC London has accidentally used the 2023 version this evening.
Thanks to Alex Ingram for flagging this one.
RELATED ARTICLE: Timeline: 2022 Week 16.
RELATED ARTICLE: Timeline: 2022 Week 18.
PICTURED: BBC News titles. COPYRIGHT: BBC.