Stories featured on this page:
- MON 28TH MAR (11AM): TalkTV reveals ident design and launch date
- MON 28TH MAR (1.45PM): Saj Fareed and Asian Women’s Resource Centre idents airing this week on ITV
- MON 28TH MAR (10.30PM): ITV News at Ten fails to play after ad break
- WED 30TH MAR (11.45AM): BBC Annual Plan for 2022/2023 published
- THU 31ST MAR (12PM): No special ident – just a verbal reference to Channel 5’s birthday
- THU 31ST MAR (4.30PM): Permission granted for demolition of former LWT building
- THU 31ST MAR (8PM): Channel 4 News confirms presenter line-up
- FRI 1ST APR (1AM): BBC One Scotland announcer mentions new look
- FRI 1ST APRIL (6AM): Early start for April Fools pranks on BBC One Scotland
- FRI 1ST APR (7PM): BBC One launches new idents
- SAT 2ND APR (11AM): Long playout of new Sky/Night ident on BBC One Scotland
Monday 28th March
11am TalkTV reveals ident design and launch date
TalkTV has released a video of its new ident. The launch date for the channel has also been confirmed – 25th April.
The ident was created by Jump Design, with music by Sitting Duck Music.
At TalkTV we will be covering the big stories of the day and beyond, stories that matter to our audience. Our new logo represents that conversation whether on TV, on radio or on their smartphones.Erron Gordon, broadcasting executive creative director, News UK
Our intention was to create a logo that is a bold, clear, recognisable and unique mark, one that stands out and cuts-through the rest of the established news and current affairs ‘noise’.
When deciding on the colour scheme for TalkTV we wanted to marry authority with warmth. For our primetime television output we’ll use the darker more serious tones of navy blue and during the daytime we’ll freshen things up with a lighter blue. Both primetime and daytime blues marry up beautifully with the warmth of persimmon orange, a stunning orangey gold palette. These colours reflect the message and tone of the network and our output.
The speech bubble is a clear symbol of our intent as a channel to engage with our audience. The fact the speech bubble contains and holds the TalkTV wordmark is a clear indication that the channel is at the centre of all of this, enabling people to voice their opinion.
This is a great opportunity to create a striking visual identity for a new channel and it’s always a pleasure to be working with Erron. We’re hard at work bringing this logo to life with the channel idents and are really looking forward to seeing everything on air later in Spring.Sam Clarke, senior designer, Jump Design
TalkTV will be streamed live and made widely available on all platforms, including linear TV and OTT, with content available across social media as well as News UK’s own broad inventory of websites and apps. Everyone in the UK will be able to access the channel and its programming, live or on-demand, either on their television or on any personal device.
1.45pm Saj Fareed and Asian Women’s Resource Centre idents airing this week on ITV
Another week and a change of ITV Creates idents. As usual, the changeover took place in the 1.30pm ITV junction. This week, it’s the turn of Saj Fareed and the Asian Women’s Resource Centre to brand the main ITV channel.
This series of idents was first aired in January 2020.
10.30pm ITV News at Ten fails to play after ad break
A trail for ITV News at Ten failed to play after an ad break at 9.30pm this evening. It looked as though ITV playout cut to the ITN source, where the trail would’ve been played down the line – but it failed to appear. Seconds later, a generic ITV graphic appeared.
Wednesday 30th March
11.45am BBC Annual Plan for 2022/2023 published
The BBC has published its annual plan. There are a few items of interest for presentation enthusiasts:
- ENGLISH REGIONS TV NEWS IN HD: “In regional news, we will ensure all regional variants of BBC One in England are available in HD by early 2023, and continue our work to upgrade our production facilities across our 15 regional bases in England.” Worth noting that this is a change from a previous BBC statement about this project which stated that the HD conversion work would be completed by late-2022.
- REGIONAL TV NEWS PRESENTATION: “During 2022, we will also begin a programme of investment to refresh the creative look of all our regional news programmes – recognition of the continued role of the 6:30pm Nations and regions bulletin as the UK’s most-watched news programme.”
- BBC WORLD NEWS PRESENTATION/FUNDING: “…we will also refresh the World News TV channel – a key element of our global offer and now funded out of the licence fee.”
EXTERNAL LINK: BBC Annual Plan web page.
Thursday 31st March
12pm No special ident – just a verbal reference to Channel 5’s birthday
We may not have got a special ident for the channel’s 25th birthday but there was at least a verbal reference to the milestone in the 7pm junction yesterday.
4.30pm Permission granted for demolition of former LWT building
Controversial plans to replace the former ITV studios on the South Bank with a new office block have been approved by Lambeth’s planning applications committee.
The decision was taken earlier in the week.
EXTERNAL LINK: Green light for office block at ITV’s old South Bank site.
8pm Channel 4 News confirms presenter line-up
Channel 4 News has announced the presenting line up for its flagship evening bulletin along with plans for an expanded presence in Leeds, including a new presenter based in the city.
Krishnan Guru-Murthy, recently named Network Presenter of the Year by the Royal Television Society, will be the main anchor from the Channel 4 News studios in London. He will continue to host major live debates for Channel 4, in addition to his lead role on Unreported World and his popular weekly podcast, Ways to Change the World.
Cathy Newman, Matt Frei and Jackie Long will also present the programme in addition to editorial duties.
EXTERNAL LINK: Channel 4 News confirms presenter line-up.
Friday 1st April
1am BBC One Scotland announcer mentions new look
This may well be the only on air reference – prior to 7pm this evening – that we’ll get about BBC One’s new idents. At tonight’s handover to the BBC News Channel, the BBC One Scotland announcer mentions that the channel “may look a wee bit different” tomorrow evening.
6am Early start for April Fools pranks on BBC One Scotland
The first link of the new broadcast day and a quick April Fools prank from the BBC One Scotland announcer.
7pm BBC One launches new idents
BBC One launched a batch of new idents at 7pm this evening.
Saturday 2nd April
11am Long playout of new Sky/Night ident on BBC One Scotland
We were treated to a lengthy playout of one of the channel’s new idents last night on BBC One Scotland, just prior to the late-night handover to the BBC News Channel.
And the announcer referenced the ‘Lens’ seen at the start of each ident – the circular device, where we see imagery from two other similar idents, at different points during the day, filmed at the same physical location.
RELATED ARTICLE: Timeline: 2022 Week 12.
RELATED ARTICLE: Timeline: 2022 Week 14.
PICTURED: ITV ident. COPYRIGHT: ITV plc.